Paperleòn - Donald Lionduck

Akademiet sydnordisk at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 19 16:20:34 CEST 2006

Late is most certainly better than never.
  I am very grateful for the info on the Dutch name of the home town of "Donald Lionduck".

  As to your question WHY I want to know about this:
  well, I am in a group of historians, who as a hobby project want to look into the Middle
  Ages of the Duck world. When I ask you about the Dutch name of the town, it is
  because some of us think that if compared to the Human world, the town might be
  expected to be found in the Dutch-speaking areas of the medieval Burgundy.

  Several stories does, of course, concern the times before the foundation of Duckburg,
  but this one is rather extraordinary, as we are witnessing something as unusual (in the
  Duck world) as a crusade, hence suggesting religious warfare! We are also shown
  religious symbols such as the cross and the half moon. What was this Duck crusade
  all about, we wonder, and where did the crusaders come from?
  The studies of medieval "Stella anatium" will go on...

  (Just for the record, I probably should add, we have no dubious political intentions with our studies. Our interest in the whole thing is purely Donaldistic.)

  With greetings,
  Johnny Jakobsen
  (Centre for studies of medieval Stella anatium)

"Fluks, H.W. (Harry)" <harry.fluks at tno.nl> wrote:
  Better late than.. (?)

On August 28, Johnny Jakobsen wrote:

> I have some rather obscure linguistic-onomastic questions for
> the esteemed, international community of DCML concerning the
> Italian duckumentary Paperleone in oriente (Donald Lionduck
> in the Orient) by Nino Russo and Andrea Freccero, published
> in Topolino (Libretto) no. 2150 in 1997.
>
> My questions are about the original Italian place-names in
> the story. In the very first picture, we meet the home town
> of Donald Lionduck with a wooden sign stating the name of the
> place. What is this small town called in Italian?

Its name in Dutch is Duckonië.

> Later on,
> arrived to the Orient, Donald and the crusading army is about
> to attack and reconquer a castle held by the enemy. In the
> picture showing the camp of the crusaders in front of the
> castle, the captain of the crusaders tell us the name of the
> castle (at least he does in the Danish version).

In the Dutch version, no castle name is mentioned.

> Actually, for both place-names, the Dutch and German
> translations would be of great interest to me as well.

And of course you've made me curious as to *why* you want to know all this!

--Harry.

This e-mail and its contents are subject to the DISCLAIMER at http://www.tno.nl/disclaimer/email.html