The Other Guy

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Mon Apr 19 17:39:46 CEST 1993

Rich writes:

> (...) I think Mickey's popularity suffered due to
> a lack of exposure in the same way that the Ducks' popularity prospered due
> to the presentation of T.V.'s "Ducktales."

You state here that the TV series helped making the characters popular.
In Europe, this is definitely _not_ the case. Donald, Mickey and others
are popular _comic_ characters, appearing in weekly and monthly comic
magazines, available on every street corner (almost literally!)

The TV series are just additional.

> I vote for a NEW Mickey Mouse comic (not just Mickey & Donald that Gladstone
> will be publishing which will be reprints)

I hope Gladstone will have that much success that they decide
to bring _all_ their comic series back (including Mickey and DuckTales).
That would mean about 8 to 9 new comics a month.
But they can fill the books with reprints: excellent newspaper stories you
probably never heard of, and the best Murry and Scarpa reprints. I didn't
like the new stories Disney Comics was doing.

BTW: Gladstone's first Donald and Mickey will contain a story of 'Mickey and
the Sleuth'. It is with that London detective (Dutch name Olivier Flops,
English name... what was it, Per? Sheerluck Jones? 8-).

--Harry.

Harry Fluks                    ()_()     Dutch Disney comics freak
PTT Research, Leidschendam      (_)      H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
"Yeah... I've _heard_ of coral barques!"