Digest #155

RON, ELECT. CARD DESIGN, 42-2, X2489 BAUERLE at THING1.ERIE.GE.COM
Sat Nov 13 02:20:31 CET 1993

I hope my first post isn't too spammy or off-topic for people, but here
goes:

>Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1993 14:03:18 +0200 (METDST)
>From: Even Flood <Even.Flood at due.unit.no>
>Subject: Don's visit to Norway

>Don Rosa has one great sorrow in his life: That he has
>never met hid idol Carl Barks.

That's a bit of a shame...

>- I have tried several times over the last six or seven
>years, but I have slowly come to realize that for some
>reason he does not want to meet me. It hurts.
[...]
>- But Carl Barks is not enthusiatic about my comics. He
>does not like that I use his characters and stories, and
>shows little understanding for my work.

If it's any consolation, Chuck Jones apparently feels the same way about
Tiny Toon Adventures; i.e., they're nowhere near as good as the work _he_
did on the original Warner Brothers characters.  While I respect his right
to hold this opinion, and Carl Barks to hold his, I won't let it stop me
from enjoying the work of all four.  However, I must say I prefer the newer
work in both cases.

I don't mean to denigrate Jones or Barks, but it sounds like ego's getting
in the way of an objective opinion.

Thanks for the newspaper article translations - they were very informative.
I had no _idea_ that Disney Comics were so popular in Europe.  The
biographical info on Don was interesting too - I wish I'd read it before I
replied to his last e-mail message; oh well - I was just wondering given his
frustration (to use a polite term) at his dealings with Disney why he stuck
with it.  Now I know - he loves the work _that_ much.

I think I've said enough for now.

RDB