Greek "Miky Maous"

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Tue Feb 15 12:45:51 CET 2000

ARCHONTIS:

> It is the longest-running Disney title in Greece, having made its debut
> back in 1966, when the present publisher (Mr. Terzopoulos) picked up the
> Disney license.

Or, more likely, his father. If I recall correctly, Miky Maous was originally
published by E. Ch. Terzoopulos, while it is now published by Ch. E.
Terzopoulos. (Given that most Greeks use their father's name as a middle name,
and that many Greeks take the name of one of their grandparents, I would
assume that the current publisher is the son of the original publisher.)
In any case, the Disney license has been in the same family business for a
third of a century.

> I grew up on "Miky Maous".

Ditto. As an interesting bit of trivia, I remember that the day the military
coup broke out in Greece on April 21, 1967 was a Friday, because I remember I
had been expecting to get the new issue of Miky Maous that day--talk about
rare issues!

> "Miky Maous" has gone thru a number of phases: it had *great* periods when
> it published true gems by people like Scarpa, Barks, Carpi, Cavazzano, M.
> De Vita,

One of these must have been during its first years, when they even got
some kind of quality award from Disney, in the form of a bronze statue of
Donald, a picture of which they would print on a few issues of that time.

	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
	      	(WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis
-----
"Isn't that sort of thing against Newton's Third Law?"
"Yes, but I have to admit that I do violate a few laws now and then."
-----