DCML digest, Vol 1 #145 - 22 msgs

Arie Fachrisal cien2 at cbn.net.id
Sat May 13 16:29:55 CEST 2000

> Subject: Re: Donald Duck creator
> Arie, Stefan and Luca wrote:
> >perhaps this is a bit of silly question. But who created Donald Duck? Is
it
> >Walt Disney? I only know that Clarence Nash was the one behind the famous
> >voice but i don't know who create DD.
> > I think it was both of them together.
> >Hmmm... How to say about Albert Hurter (the thumbnail sketches of DD in
"The
> >Wise Little Hen") and, later, about Art Babbitt?
> From: Rod Davidek <rdavidek at idirect.com>
> It's a tough question, because Donald evolved a lot in his first few
years.
> I'd add Dick Huemer to the list, who (with Art Babbitt) animated Donald in
> "The Wise Little Hen". Dick Lundy was the first to animate Donald's bad
> temper in the original "Orphan's Benefit". Fred Spencer wrote the famous
> character analysis of Donald in 1935. Then you have to include the
> contributions of Barks and Hannah in the late '30s which really defined
> Donald's screen personality.
> From: John Chadwick <wolfsong at mpinet.net>
> I believe it was Clarence Nash himself (years ago on a Disney Channel
special) I
> once heard say that he came to Disney with the voice and the animators
created a
> character to match the voice.  So Nash himself had a hand in the creation.

Hmmm, so since there's been no factual answer, is it safe to assume that the
creators are Walt and Nash? And DD developed later by Hurter, Babbit,
Huermer, and further more developed by Hannah and Barks?
Thanks in advance for all the answers and of course thanks all who have
replied and showed me the many "hidden" people i never knew of before.

> From: Abdulmonem Abbas <abbasamh at emirates.net.ae>
> Subject: DuckTales
> But the pilot "Lunchbad Mcquak" - i'm not sure about the spelling- is not
a Ducktales-only character,he appeared in some comics, he had also his
one-page comics
Yes, i remember reading a two-page gag featuring Lunchbad and Gyro with a
gag about an aeroplane Gyro invented, drawn by Van Horn. As for his one-page
comics, i havent see it printed it here yet. Guess i was wrong about the
Ducktales-only character there. okay, now i have look through my collection,
now i see that he's been used in several duck stories as well. Now my
question is, where his first appearance started? Is it from the Ducktales
movie? or he started in a comic story first, then used in the Ducktales TV
series?

> > And perhaps any of you know why they
> > decided not to inlcude DD in the series?

Abdulmonem Abbas
> DD also appeared in some DuckTales series, i remember he was working on a
ship - an army ship - or something like that.
> From: Pietro Reynaud-Bersanino <pierrebi at tiscalinet.it>
> According to the "plot" of Ducktales Series, DD is working on a ship as a
> seaman so that the 3 nephews are granted to the custody of U$ and of the
> maid ... (in italian her name is TATA, wich means "nanny"!!)

Yep, but then the plot was "forced" to be that way so that DD can't join
most adventures with U$ and HDL in a more logical way. Thanks for sharing
the infos. i never knew about that plot, cause i only watched several
Ducktales series.

Best,
Arie Fachrisal (and a guy named Joe from Singapore)