Celebrating Barks' life

Stefan Diös pyas at swipnet.se
Tue Sep 12 18:14:28 CEST 2000

Although I haven't sent in one of my own, I have closely read all the
sentiments concerning Barks' decease expressed on this list by his fans and
friends. Just as moving to me as his death itself, just as touching is it
to once again realize the immense impact Barks' work has had for so many
people in so many countries for so many years. Even more so considering
that for each fan who posts to this list, or who sent him letters during
his illness, there is probably a hundred who contacted him during his more
active phase of retirement just to tell him how much they admire his
work... and for each and everyone of those, there is easily a thousand
world-wide who love, enjoy, or admire what he has done although they might
not know his name, or not have bothered to get in touch with him.

It reminds me of his visit to Europe in 1994, when a fan meeting was
arranged in Stockholm just like in so many other places. We have never,
before or after, had so many Donaldists gathered in one place in our
country at the same time, and I have rarely in my life experienced such a
thrill as when Barks stepped in and the crowd roared. It just would never
stop! It was a great honor to meet Carl Barks, but an even greater feeling
to see how loved he truly is. We knew it before, but... Barks is huge. Not
"was". Is.

I want to thank each and everyone out there who wanted to share their
feelings at this moment with the rest of us. And that is everyone... I'm
not about to mention any names... except that, of course, like everyone
else, I'm really impressed by Armando Botto's fine dream tribute a little
while ago... and that just a few days ago, somebody sent in a mail that
echoed my own feelings so perfectly that I had to rub my eyes.

Kriton Kyrimis wrote:

>Instead of mourning Barks' death, we should be celebrating his life!

And:

>Corporeal immortality is not a blessing; it is a curse, and one should
>not wish to inflict it upon others. Being granted the oportunity to
>choose when to leave is far better, and as we all know, Unca Carl was
>able to do exactly that.

How true. How very true. Kriton, I'm writing a short piece about Barks for
the Swedish Donaldists, and I'm quoting you. And if you get kicked off the
list, as you jokingly feared, I'll go with you.

We should all wish to age and die like Carl Barks, when our time comes. And
we should never cease to honor this great man... not because he's dead, but
because his work will live forever.

Stefan Dios
Malmo, Sweden