Differences between the french and danish version of the coin

Anders Christian Sivebaek acsive at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 3 15:05:14 CEST 2001

Hi friends

The new weekly arrived in my mailbox today, so I
thought I should write to you comparing the Danish and
French publication of the Coin, which is in it.
This could be considered a spoiler, so if you haven’t
read the story somewhere you might want to stop?

I heard that the Norwegian publication of the story
has a mistake in the first panel. The scroll for the
title has been understood by the Norwegians to be some
strange unusable thing so they placed the usual
KR-logo there
 The Danish publication does not have
this mistake.
This time it’s absolutely insane that Scrooge coin are
gold in the European tradition. The coin in the story
was originally a silver quarter, and it’s a piece of
five kroner in the Danish edition (I expect it to be
the same in the other Scandinavian places, maybe a
one-mark in Germany) – All these coin are colored like
silver, they’re made of aluminium or something like
that. There’s no sane reason those would be gold.
Cause as we know Scrooge’s coins in the bin are
souvenir coins, small coins, made of silver- and
cobber-colored metals. They’re not expensive gold
coins – But the tradition simply says gold coins in
Denmark, and it will take something to change that.
Maybe such as in a book like the new Barks book,
therein some stories have silver-colored coins. And in
some Barks-stories from the 60’es it was so too.
The rest of page 1 is fine, with correctly mirrored
text in the flashback panel and so on.
On page 2 panel 6 and 8 the writing on a poster which
was supposed to be behind Gladstone, is on the right
side of Gladstone, because of the texter (Guy who puts
text in the bubbles, same guy who forgot to change the
font for certain dialogue pieces in the Kalevala
story). That’s the second most irritating mistake in
this story IMO.
On page 3 panel 8 it seems Grandma is saying something
to Gus, but it’s Gus’ sleaves we see, and in the
French version there’s no hint it should be Grandma
saying that.
On page 4 the construction with 4 panels in every 4
rows. In the French version blue color was between the
panels, in the Danish version they’re painted with
coloristic trick where the colors are changing from
red to yellow, yellow to blue and yellow to green from
one upper left corner to the lower right corner. On
page 9 it’s all red.
I started to believe Egmont were irritated that Rosa
draws Scrooge so you can see his beek through his
glasses – that’s why they in the beginning of the
90’es, when a worker didn’t have anything to do, was
told to white out the lines in the glasses. (It can
confuse one, cause in the 50’es and 60’es they did the
reversed thing, they painted the glasses yellow when
they were in front of a beak, even partly yellow,
partly white can be found). But we see on page 7 and
10 that now they again color what’s behind the glasses
in both white and yellow. It’s also done that nice
(IMO) by the French Picsou-publishers. Un till now
they have just left the lines be, asked to do so by
Don, and not coloring anything, cause Don was annoyed
by their moronic whitening job.
On page 8 of the story some of Rosas panel has been
covered, because there had to be room for an
explanation for a shortened JW title. We don’t know
the original, but the Danish translation has been made
into a joke about a F.A.T. M.A.N. and a beanstalk.
On page 11 the “photos” (?) in the cellar are painted
in color, as a difference to the French version where
they’re brown as color-photos wasn’t invented back
then.
Panel 9 on that same page tells in the French edition
that Donald and Daisy was at her house doing something
(?)
 and then they heard the alarm. In the Danish
version he says “I and Daisy (since when did we stop
mentioning the ladies first?) went and – hrm! – when I
heard your alarm. Something which could have borders
to something not to be shown in a duck comic, has been
made into some kissing, unless I actually
misunderstood the French wording.
On page 12 panel 6 Goldie is talking of hard work, in
French she was tired from his night work, which is a
reference to the reason of censorship of the original
Barks comic about Goldie. No relationship (of love)
should be hinted. They could ask, what did they do at
night? Why did he pay her 15 kroner (in the Danish
version)? Isn’t that extremely much? What else has she
done apart from digging Gold?
En the end Scrooge is singing the song Goldie sang
when he first saw her. The actual song never appeared
in the Danish version of the Barks comic, so the
translator translated the After the Ball-tune into
Danish.

Yours
AC

=====