DCML digest #477

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Sat Apr 14 14:19:03 CEST 2001

> From: "Olivier" <mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr>
> Another coloring issue: should the eyes be colored (light) blue
> or just plain white?

Well, it's pretty much the same deal as with the coins. It depends on what
the purpose of the usage is. The Ducks' eyes, being modeled after hoomin
bean eyes, should be white in the normal stories. The "whites" of our eyes
are not blue. However, on covers the whites are colored light blue simply
for contrast on the white Duck face -- it looks more... colorful (!) and
more eye-catching for a cover, the *main* purpose of the cover being to
attract attention on a newsstand. It's the same reason that DD and HDL are
dressed in solid black shirts in the stories, but wear blue and green and
red on covers and in paintings, as with coin colors and Bin contents.
(Where did I get "hoomin bean"? That's what LuLu Moppet useta' say, I
think.)