Scrooge being dead or alive

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Fri Apr 27 19:02:36 CEST 2001

Hello everyone!

Daniel:
>>Again, it just depends on what one decides to believe. For me, personally,
>>Uncle Scrooge is still alive today.

I never really thought about it. Don Rosa's "real-life" approach is fine.
But somehow I rather not think about the Duck's (or the Mouse's) death.
Sure, they risk trheir lives in many adventures. But thinking that Scrooge
is dead-- or that HDL have grown up and married...
It's probably due to some kind of  sentimental attachment to the characters
as we know them-- or some problem with the notion of  death?

On the other hand, I like the idea of  their living in a '50s world, with '50s technology.
Another thing: HDL have grown up in a sense, from the mischievous kids of  Taliaferro
to the still-mischievous-but-a-bit-less-so boys of  Barks to the responsible
Junior Woodchucks. But they are never shown actually growing up.
As far as I know, only Donald and Scrooge have been depicted younger.

Since they live in another multiverse (yes, I like this idea) (there are countries that do
not exist in ours and most people are dog-nosed), maybe people over there don't age
as fast as we do, so that U$ may still be alive and HDL appear to have the same age.

I know, if  you try to work out the equivalence mathetically using such references as the
Klondike Gold Rush, there may be a discrepancy; and in 100 years it won't work.
Ah well...

Wishing you a nice weel-end,

Olivier