Finnish Carl Barks Seminar

Ari Seppi mani at iki.fi
Fri Nov 16 23:16:01 CET 2001

We had a Carl Barks seminar in Lahti today.

To summarize: It was very interesting. (I want more, I want more, somebody
please arrange a new seminar).

(Notice for the Finns who weren't there but are interested in more detailed
Ankkalinnan pamaus volume 10).

Table of contents of the seminar:

First Juhani Tolvanen gave a short presentation about Finnish translations
and their effect on popularity of Disney comics in Finland and how the old
translations are one of the few common things between the different age
groups in families. After the presentation, there was some talk about there
still being a need to modernize the comics translations like translations
of other works of literature.

The second speaker was Pekka Tuliara. His perspective was Carl Barks and
Walt Disney.

After Pekka, Marja Ritola gave a view in Don Rosa/Carl Barks
intertextuality. During her presentation and in discussion after it there
was some pondering about the conventions: traditional conventions and
Barks-conventions, and how Don broke many of the frozen conventions despite
and because of crabbing onto Barks-tradition most tightly.

Markku Koski talked about Barks as an American.

Donald Ault (yippee, we had Donald Ault) talked... a lot actually. One of
his main themes was the diversity of the possibilities to understand the
Barks series (he used the first dime as an example). He also had a quite
nice answer to the question "what is your favorite Barks series?". It was
the one he is currently reading, no matter the actual quality of it. Even
in the worst of Barks stories, he still finds and remembers the things he
likes in Barks.

Finally, there was a Barks-exhibition (from Marko Leppälä's collection).
--
Ari Seppi (mani at iki.fi)
http://www.iki.fi/mani/