Colorists deciding things

Germund Silvegren germund.silvegren at ekol.lu.se
Sun Aug 18 15:03:41 CEST 2002

>Timo said Barks had no inputs regarding color---the colorists and printers
>decided on color. I don't know how much say the artists had, but often a
>reprint has a different colorist than the original printing, and it's
>interesting to compare the different colors used.

The DELL/GK artists were able to influence the coloring of their stories.
When they felt the need to give the colorists specific instructions they
would write notes in blue pen in the margins of the art. The prime example
that comes to mind is the WDC#425 Paul Murry story where the original art
has very specific instructions regarding the color he wanted for the
northern lights on the last page. I have no idea if Barks ever used this
opportunity though.
/Germund