Wicca and religions (O.T. -- sorry)

Donald D. Markstein ddmarkstein at cox.net
Sat Aug 9 18:16:56 CEST 2003

Sigvald on Wicca:
> AFAIK it's *not* a religion! I have heared a bit about it and it's more
like
> a cult, though a peaceful one.

I'm sure I'd have more to say on this if I knew of a clear difference
between a religion and a cult. In terms of abuse of members, violence and
coersiveness toward non-members, outlandishness of doctrine, and every other
important criterion, BOTH categories of belief system range across the
entire spectrum. The only clear difference I can see is that "religions"
have more adherents, and thus are able to squelch the sort of media bashing
that is frequently visited upon "cults".

As usual, Sigvald, your insults are based on ignorance. "Hav[ing] heared
[sic] a bit about it" does not qualify you to pass judgment on the sincere
beliefs of many decent people all over the world.

"I adhere faithfully to my traditional creed."
"You cling stubbornly to outmoded dogma."
"He, she or it is a slave to ancient superstitions."

That's all most criticism of other people's beliefs amounts to.

Quack, Don

Today in Toons: Every day's an anniversary.
http://www.toonopedia.com/today.htm