name changes, definitions and more

Søren Krarup Olesen raptus at stofanet.dk
Sun Aug 10 08:47:41 CEST 2003

KATIE:

> Um, isn't that one of the things we all admire about Barks?  His
> attention to historical detail?

I don't know if he did that more than any other writer.

> His collection of National
> Geographics?  The fact that he didn't make up silly places and
> fake history to insult his readers' intelligence?

"Silly places"? Are you saying that the trips Uncle Scrooge had with
his nephews always went to *real* existing countries? I am suprised,
never knew that--perhaps because I've mostly read the Danish versions.
Anyway, difficult for me to admire him for that then :-) I admire him
for him humour and good stories. The historical details are rather
unimportant to me, since I realised a long time ago, that it's all
fiction. And if it wasn't I wouldn't read it to begin with. I have
enough "reality" in my daily life.

> It's stories like those by Barks
> and Rosa (and others!) that weave in history, mythology,
> literature, geography and other disciplines that prove those
> critics wrong.  It's the ties to "reality" that make for the
> best epic adventures, in my opinion.  Just because they're
> stories about talking ducks and mice doesn't mean they can't be
> realistic!  ;)

I agree. But realism *only* is potential to reduce fantasy, and I've
always considered Disney comics a "fantasy" world. Framing that
fantasy world into historical pseudo-facts is a limitation, which
simply isn't my cup of tea.

> Having put in my two cents' worth, I still think any
> disagreements between two individuals should be kept off the
> mailing list and confined to private e-mails, especially when
> they aren't directly related to discussion of the comics.

Agreed! 100%. And this is why I will leave this mailing list. It used
to be fun, when the opinions here were more multi-angled or...what's
the word...nevermind, nowadays it's all about lack of respect for this
or that artist and accusations of insulting peoples "good name and
reputation" just because you disagree. I wonder how newspapers would
sell, if they always had to be afraid of insulting somebody's
"name and reputation"...

Bye
Søren