The Google-WEB Poll - Improved version

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Sat Aug 16 20:29:17 CEST 2003

Hi all!

I *may be wrong* but I have got a vague impression that those who are most
critical to my Google-WEB poll is the same that are most critical to Don
Rosa, thus they may not be to happy to see him being successful in such
polls. But anyway don't let us bring this debate down to a pro/contra Don
Rosa quarrel. In order to give more significance to my Google WEB-poll I
have included 22 artists/creators instead of only 14. I have also included
new and more accurate numbers for Freddy Milton and Dan Jippes. Here is the
updated ranking of the Disney artists/creators popularity based on the same
scientific(1) methods as last time – Google-search with both the
artists/creators first and last name like this: "Carl Barks".

(1) The methods is made known to the readers, and the same methods are used
for all artists/creators. Furthermore where needed comments to the numbers
have been added below.

Rank  Artist Creator	 Hits	%
------------------------------------
1    Carl Barks        25100  31,2
2    Don Rosa          12600  15,6
3    Walt Kelly*       10200  12,7
4    Vicar**            6850   8,5
5    David Gerstein     2790   3,5
6    Giorgio Cavazzano  2350   2,9
7    Floyd Gottfredson  2280   2,8
8    Marco Rota         2200   2,7
9    Romano Scarpa      2080   2,6
10    Daan Jippes***     1884   2,3
11    William van Horn   1880   2,3
12    Luciano Gatto      1880   2,3
13    Freddy Milton***   1304   1,6
14    Al Taliaferro      1280   1,6
15    Olaf Solstrand     1140   1,4
16    Paul Murry         1110   1,4
17    Tony Strobl         947   1,2
18    Luciano Bottaro     875   1,1
19    Jack Bradbury       819   1,0
20    Daniel Branca       455   0,6
21    Mau Heymans         286   0,4
22    Noel van Horn       231   0,3
------------------------------------

* Not only a Disney-artist/creator. He is also known for Pogo, a non-Disney
animal-strip.

** Vicar is a frequent used word so this is number is based on a "Vicar" +
Disney search.

*** These numbers takes into account that these persons first names appears
in two ways in Google.

Possible errors and weaknesses of this poll
Possible sources of errors when it come to this numbers are uncertainties
with the reliability of Google, the possibility of name-brothers occurring
within the numbers, the possibility that some artists/creators are more
frequently mentioned by his first name or his last name only, than the
others, etc.

-------------------
Summary/Conclusion:
-------------------
This is *not* a 100% accurate ranking, but due to the huge number of hits
counted in this poll (a total of 80541 hits), the big differences between
the scores for Barks, Rosa vs the others, and the fact that those scores
doesn't seem to contradict the impression of these artist's popularity in
DCML and elsewhere indeed indicates that this poll proves that Don Rosa is
the most popular Disney artist/creator among those still alive and active.
Furthermore this poll leave small doubt that Barks is the most popular
Disney artist/creator ever! And finally yet another interesting point - this
poll seem to support my friendly suggestion of David Gerstein as the one who
should be asked to do a "LoP"-tale.

Sigvald