Egmont's English mini-booklet

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Thu Aug 21 04:14:19 CEST 2003

OLAF SOLSTRAND to SIGVALD GROSFJELD, 19-08-2003:

> 1) They are calling this [16 page mini-booklet] an English course - but
> only a few of the words are explained. [...] Can this booklet possibly
> be used to learn English? Only if you know a lot already, and wants to
> learn slang a la Van Horn. But this booklet will probably attract those
> interested in learning English with Donald... which they can't.

Maybe it's a trick? As far as I know, Egmont isn't allowed to publish
English comics. Maybe the "English course" is a method to legally get
past that rule? An "English course" would make it an educational book,
instead of a comic. (I'm just guessing, does it make any sense?)

> 2) Egmont is publishing stories in the original American... Personally
> I think that is a good thing, but as a result of what I mentioned above:
> This is eventually not good for them. Norwegian magazines have always
> had terrible translations - their only advance was that we didn't know
> how lousy they were. Now, they're SHOWING US.

People who think translations should be improved, after reading the
mini-booklet, can let the editor know about their opinion. If enough
people do that, the editor might decide to improve the translations.
That way, the "English course" eventually would be good for the
Norwegian translations.

--- Daniël