Barks/Jippes Be Leery Of Lake Eerie

Kai Saarto ksaarto at mbnet.fi
Thu Aug 21 20:59:07 CEST 2003

Daniel van Eijmeren wrote:

>ARI SEPPI to FRANCESCO SPREAFICO, 20-08-2003:
>

>>[Van Horn's] recent Finnish publication in this week's Aku Ankka was
>>pretty interesting story about Donald's new neighbours (D 2003-011)
>>even though it was in tough company (Be Leery Of Lake Eerie by
>>Barks/Jippes, D D 2002-023).
>>

>Jippes has inked two endings. Which version did they use?
>The sweet ending, the cynical ending, or both?
>
>Barks was asked to brighten up the ending of the story,
>so that's why there are two versions.

Actually Aku Ankka did an excellent job on this one. They used the
cynical ending, but right after the story there was an article about
Barks' 1970s JW stories with enviromental message. Included were the
scetches for both endings. A really nice surprise.

>I like Barks's Junior Woodchuck stories very much. I think they're
>underestimated because of being relatively unknown retirement work.

Personally, I don't rate Barks later stories very high - don't get me
wrong, I enjoy them more than most stories by others - but to me they
lack that certain "barksian magic" of his earlier work. Jippes imitates
Barks´s style quite well, so they are a good read, if not exactly classics.