Luck of the North

Erik Horthe erikh at newmedia.no
Mon Aug 25 13:46:43 CEST 2003

Sigvald and others are into a discussion on Luck of the North, Alaska and
Greenland. Translations are always interesting stuff!  Now, I would never
say that my poster "Around the globe with Donald" should be a proof either
way in this matter. In Norway the story was called "Donald Duck in
Greenland" when it first came here in 1952. So in the Norwegian
version,  the story is indeed taking place in Greenland, and I used that in
the poster mentioned earlier. Now, if the Norwegian translator in 1952 had
called the story "Donald Duck in Alaska" I would have moved the sticker
illustrating the story to Alaska in my map of course.

And - when the story was to be printed again in Norway a couple of years
ago, the editors decided they had to change the primitive language the
Eskimos spoke. You could argue that the first translation should never be
changed of course, but the decision was made. So I suggested we should let
the Eskimos speak Danish, showing the readers that the ducks were far away
from home. It would BTW be interesting to hear what you think of this way
of solving the problem, other suggestions are welcome!  But again - in my
opinion this only proves that the Norwegian version of the story takes part
in Greenland.

Erik Horthe