Magica

Olaf Solstrand olaf at andebyonline.com
Sat Aug 30 13:30:03 CEST 2003

> A witch (or warlock) is a supernatural being with inherent
> supernatural/magical powers who can call forth mystic powers from his/her
> fingertips. In ancient and pop fiction they are hideously ugly and evil and
> often shown flying through the air on a broom, which is to say they can fly
> on a broom or a Hoover or anything they wish, or just plain fly at will,
> broomstick or not... they can just about do anything.

Hmm... but if Magica, the non-magical-human-being, can access magic by using a
WAND that is full of magic, why can't she access magic by using a BROOMSTICK
that is full of magic? I mean, why can't the broom be a magical object just
like the wands are?

> Egmont's "official" policy: When Byron Erickson first took over the
> editorship of the comic creation department, with no prompting from me,
> also decided that it was time to return Magica to her roots. He said
> Egmont would eliminate the use of Magica as a "witch" who flew around on
> a broomstick. He would see that she returned to the original Barks
> version since that is the only version that would make sense (for reasons
> I mention above). Now, has Egmont stuck to Byron's policy? I don't know, I
> can't read the comics.

An interesting question, as the latest Donald Duck & Co (35) contains a story
(D 2002-229, J. Gilbert/Rodriques) where Magica comes flying in on a
broomstick. Yes, not only does she come flying in on a broomstick, but that's
the ENTIRE POINT of the whole story. In this story, the broomstick can't fly
without a special fuel, leaves from the onion roses. Unfortunately Donald has
bought the last box as they're great fishing bait, and when Magica attacks him
to get the onion rose leaves, all leaves are destroyed - and Donald and Magica
has to go to the Amazon (more or less as a team) to find more of these roses. I
actually liked this version, as it showed *Magica* not being the one holding
the magic, she had to trust in a supernatural broomstick. Magica is also
thinking "If I can't find the onion rose, I must start taking the bus!"

By the way, Carl Barks had a cameo in this story. He's sitting in a boat
painting a picture of Scrooge.

Best,
Olaf