Gladstone as Timber Baron

Kai Saarto ksaarto at mbnet.fi
Tue Jun 24 09:35:13 CEST 2003

Finnish TV broadcasted about a week ago this old Kirk Douglas movie
called "The Big Trees" (1952). It takes place in 1900, when a corrupt
timber baron Jim Fallon (Kirk Douglas) plans to take advantage of a new
law and make millions of Dollars off the California redwood. Much of the
land he hopes to grab has been homesteaded by a Quaker colony, who try
to persuade him to spare the giant trees.

When I saw main character first time on the screen I first noticed that
Kirk's hair was done just like Gladstone's (check out:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00007G20Y.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg)
Soon its revealed that Fallon is a lucky character who has a lucky charm
  around his neck that he values greatly.

This was probably all just a coincidence, but it made me think if
film-makers have been borrowing ideas from Carl Barks before George
Lucas or Steven Spielberg?

--
- Kai Saarto
http://www.perunamaa.net/donrosa