Scrooge and Grandma, siblings?

Katie Sullivan vazali at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 15 02:03:52 CEST 2003

Regarding the relationship between Scrooge and Grandma Duck,
Olaf wrote:
>Personally I accept BOTH these relationships, and I've read
>good stories supporting both of them. If I should ever need to
>mention this in one of MY stories, I would go with the
Barks->relationship (not that Egmont would give me
>much of a choice). But I like the thought of Scrooge and
>Grandma being siblings,
>and have read several good stories about it."

As an American I haven't been exposed to many stories showing
Scrooge and Grandma as siblings.  I never read anything in a
Barks story, that I recall, that made me think they were, or
weren't.  While growing up, I guess I just assumed they weren't
blood relations, but I never really consciously thought about
it.

I love the character of Scrooge very much, and have since before
I knew how to read and had to have my father read the comics to
me!  I also like Grandma Duck, and think she's a very strong
character, (as well as one of the only recurring female
characters.)  I wanted to include her (and Magica DeSpell, for
that matter) in my "Every Duck Has Her Day" research paper, but
ran out of time and energy and had to focus only on Daisy and
Goldie.  It's a pity, though, since I do find her character
interesting.  She has a lot of potential.

I'm a big fan of the Barks/Rosa continuum, but I still really
like finding out how other writers see the characters.  Both
Grandma and Scrooge are very good, strong, likable characters.
It's a compliment to both of them to be considered related to
each other!  ;)  I hope stories featuring the "siblings" theory
appear in the new Gemstone issues.  I will always think of the
Lo$ version as the "real" relationship in my mind, but I'm
interested--and will most certainly be entertained--by reading
stories that differ.

As for a biographical story about Donald, I haven't read Rota's
story, so I really can't comment.  But I always especially enjoy
background stories and origin stories of that sort.  So I hope
it appears in a Gemstone issue, too.

Katie Sullivan
http://www.sullivanet.com/