SV: Re: The Italian Duck universe

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Sun Aug 17 19:31:40 CEST 2003

Daniel van Eijmeren <dve at kabelfoon.nl> wrote:

> No, you are referring to the ROSA UNIVERSE,
> once again...
>
> In Barks's universe, these points are no
> constant "facts" at all:
> - Scrooge has many different money bins, like
> the egg shaped one in the super-strong
> forbidium money bin story (DISBP 1)

Just a one-time fenomenon.

> and the Money Bin at a Duckburg street. (The
> Golden River, US 22.)

The downtown "bin" also exist in Rosa's interpretation of the Duck universe.
Just take a look in "The Pied Piper of Duckburg".

> - Scrooge has different secretaries and clerks

Correct, but unlike Ms Quackfaster they are *not* regular characters.

> - Scrooge has a mansion and a butler

Only in "Christmas on Bear Mountain". He sold it shortly after, early 1948 I
would guess - just read the end of Lo$.

>> However monumental tales about the life and
>> history of characters in the Duck universe
>> should IMHO be based on the original Duck
>> universe – not its nice twin.
>
> Know what you say. The Rosa universe should
> also be ignored then! It's not original.
> It's a retrospective universe, with exceptions
> to the "original" universe. These exceptions
> are even a proof that the "original" universe
> was not intended to be structured in
> retrospective at all. So, why force them
> together into one jar?

Don Rosa's Duck universe is one version of the original American Duck
universe. I can't see the problem here?

> And... even Barks *himself* adjusted his Ducks
> to what other Disney artists did, at the time
> when he was *creating* the "Barks universe".

OK

> (Please Sigvald, I don't want to go through
> this again. Do you?)

No, I guess that enough has been said about this topic now.

> Can't we just all agree that different artists
> have different styles and opinions?

Off course they have.

> And that it's not up to you - or me - to tell
> which style and opinion is superior or
> inferior? Or do you like to *hurt* people by
> suggesting that your opinion is superior?

No I don't. I think however that what often have made me react is when
people for some reason seems to completely ignore Don Rosa's explanations
for things in the Duck-universe - even without explaining why they do so.

You may ask why I keep thinking that Don Rosa is so important. The reasons
for that is that Don has put a lot of effort in explaining many important
sides of the Duck-universe, like when and how Scrooge raised his Money Bin,
how the Ducks is related, how HD&L joined TJW, how Little Helper was
created, etc - and always by staying faithful to Barks. Even though this
*don't* make Don a guru, it still IMO makes him important.

> That's what you're doing when you write that
> way, because you're attacking their enthusiasm
> for interpreting comics in their own way and
> taste. And when people feel attacked they can
> get very defensive and angry. This results in
> flaming, and a bad atmosphere. End result is
> a downward spiral in which NOBODY - including
> you - is enjoying this mailing list and their
> comics anymore.

This sounds very plausible.

> So, be more tolerant and positive towards
> others. It's also for your own good.

I think that we all should be. Remember that I am not the only one that have
presented "Theorys" as they were "facts". One example is people who claim
that the Ducks in Duckburg were hatched from eggs, even though that's a hot
potato whenever it comes up here in DCML.

> A world in which people even hurt each other's
> fantasies and dreams, is no better than hell.
> Let's keep that pain and suffering out of our
> little idyllic DCML-garden. Okay?

Sounds like a very good idea!

Sigvald