Regarding Scarpa's Style...

Danehog@aol.com Danehog at aol.com
Mon Aug 18 00:05:16 CEST 2003

Timo wrote:

> He made Mouse stories early in his career, and the his style was quite
> different from what it is nowadays.
> Even his ducks looked very different. He made his mice look
> a bit like
> Scarpa's, with his own twist. Goofy looked really goof :-)

Regarding Scarpa, what was the era in which he adopted a style that used lots of "lines" as shadows for all of the characters, particularly when shocked or generally excited. (I'm not sure of the technical term for this, or even a way of describing the effect accurately.) I remember reading a particular Scarpa story that featured this technique--which I thought was an excellent addition to an already-solid style--and another one that did not. The latter story just felt like there was something... missing, since I had seen his style, complete with the extra "line shadows," previously.

(I would give you the story codes, but I don't have access to my comic book collection at the moment.)
--
Dane

Wow. This was the most pathetically wordy message ever...